As we come upon the holiday season, what better way to celebrate than with comfort food? My grandmother passed down the BEST brisket recipe and so here I pass it along to you.
Grandma Sylvia’s Brisket
(Inspiration from my grandmother!)
2 to 2 ½ lb. flat cut beef brisket
1 c. catsup
1 envelope of Lipton Onion Soup
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup water
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix catsup, soup, brown sugar and water in a bowl.
3. Place brisket in a baking pan.
4. Pour mixture over.
5. Cover tightly and bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours*. [See note below on cook time]
6. Uncover and bake ½ hour more.
7. The brisket will shrink (totally normal!). Baste with pan juices and slice to serve.
*As a general rule, consider cooking 3/4 of an hour per pound. In this case, I had a 2.5 lb brisket, so I did 2 hours. If you use a smaller piece of meat, you can cook it for less time (and vice versa). However, definitely be sure to do the 30 minutes uncovered, regardless of the rest of your cook time.
This is another Sunday one, because it’s easy but it takes a few hours to cook. It’s definitely a quality comfort food and leftovers are even better the next day. Serve with mashed potatoes and a veggie (in this case, I used asparagus). It will warm you up and make you smile 🙂