I grew up eating stuffed peppers filled with ground beef and cheese. They are a serious comfort food for me. Though they absolutely delicious and over-filling, I wanted a healthier alternative that also tasted great. Introducing my favorite new grain – quinoa! It soaks up the taste of everything around it and is super healthy for you. Packed full of all sorts of veggies, these are great for a complete meal.
Black Bean and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
(Inspiration found here)
4 green bell peppers
1 cup quinoa
5-6 tablespoons olive oil
1 can black beans, rinced
1 can corn
1/2 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
2 cups vegetable broth
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sautee onion in a pan until translucent. Add corn to pan and heat for about 5 minutes.
3. In a saucepan, add the quinoa, tomatoes, and italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, cover, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, allowing the quinoa to cook through. You will know when the quinoa is cooked, as the little kernels will pop and become larger.
4. While the onion and corn cooks, add the black beans and cook for about 5 minutes until warmed through.
5. Once the quinoa is ready, add it to the onion mixture in the pan. Mix all together and then set aside.
6. Cut your peppers in half and clean out the seeds from the inside. Lay the halves down on a covered cookie sheet, inside up.
7. Scoop heaping spoonfuls of the quinoa mixture onto the peppers. It will feel like you have too much – that’s ok. Keep scooping.
8. Bake for about 25 minutes until the pepper is soft.
Yum! They’re super filling, so you’ll have plenty for leftovers. I was surprised we each had one whole pepper.