Sometimes you just want something and gooey, but you also want to watch your waistline. Lucky – this meal does both! It’s also a quick one, so if you just need to whip something together quickly, this is the way to go.
(Inspiration found here)
1. Preheat your toaster oven OR regular oven to Broil.
2. Scoop out the insides of the mushroom caps. You can use a spoon to scoop out all the gills.
3. Glaze the mushroom caps with olive oil.
4. Place the mushroom caps in your oven for a few minutes (while you prepare the tuna salad). This will strengthen the caps and cause them to break less easily.
4. Create your tuna salad. Drain the tuna cans and mix the tuna meat with the mayonnaise until at desired consistency. The more mixed, the better for this recipe.
5. Pull the caps out of the oven for a moment. Pile the tuna salad onto the mushroom caps.
6. Place some cheese slices on top of the tuna.
7. Pop them back in the broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese melts. You don’t want to cook it too long for food safety.
8. Serve and enjoy!
These mushrooms were a little on the small side because we’re out of season. If you can get the big mushroom caps, those work best for this recipe. Either way, it’s a healthy alternative to a favorite.